Great question and probably one of the most popular on the platform!
Stories are automatically promoted all across Wattpad through our hot lists, recommendation modules, algorithms, and in people’s newsfeed. When someone votes on your story, for example, it tells all of that person’s followers by appearing in their newsfeed. So you can focus the most on writing your amazing story and not have to worry about hitting a switch to get on those spaces.
Some stories are selected by Wattpad staff for promotion in additional spaces, such as Wattpad Picks. They’re always combing through Wattpad searching for content, but if you want to submit your story for consideration, you can find out more on how to do that below.
How does it all work?
Wattpad promoted stories are lovingly hand-picked by our Content & Creator Development team, and they are given the opportunity for promotion across the platform. This can mean a number of things, including:
- Being added to one of our Wattpad Picks lists
- Added to a promoted home module/appearance on the home screen
- Added to curated recommendations for readers
- And many more!
There is no specific time frame for when or how long your story is promoted, as we want to maximize the exposure for your story in a way that makes sense. Stories will be given a reasonable chance and would not be added and removed within a day, for example.
What are we looking for?
If you believe your story has what it takes, you can fill out an application to be reviewed by us. Your story can have any number of reads, votes, or any other activity and still be eligible! Here’s some criteria that we’re looking for:
- Compelling stories that appeal to readers, and have their own distinct voice, style, or spin. Something you can’t put down!
- A degree of care and quality, free of obvious typos or consistent grammar errors that make it difficult to read.
- Minimum 10,000 words to submit, or must be a completed short story or poetry collection if less than 10,000 words. Make sure you mark your story as Complete in the Story Details section.
- The same story cannot be submitted more than once within 3 months. However, you can apply with multiple stories at the same time.
- If the story is ongoing it must demonstrate a consistent, reasonable update routine.
- Stores in the Random category may not apply.
- You can only apply with your own stories and cannot nominate another writer.
Individual applications will not receive responses. If you are selected for promotion, you may be notified through private messages or through your notifications. Note that while the application puts the story in front of us, we may still promote stories that haven’t applied if they meet our criteria.
What about Wattpad Paid Stories?
We have recently updated the application to include a section for Wattpad Paid Stories! To learn a little more about the program details and what to expect after you apply head over to Nick's Community update here.
If this sounds like your story, you can submit your application here. Good luck!