Want to get your story out there but don’t know how? You’ve come to the right place!
Select a heading below to learn more on how you can promote your story.
The Wattpad community is extremely supportive. Here are some tips to get Wattpadders to read your story:
- Follow other writers and read their work. Get an idea of what they like, and tell them what you like about their work. Constructive feedback is always good, and the more of a presence you have on Wattpad the more likely they are to check your work out.
- Acknowledge follows. When someone follows you, send them a quick message and let them know how much you appreciate it.
- Respond to comments and suggestions on your work and story.
- Engage others in conversation. Does someone’s story remind you of a song, video, photograph or personal experience? You may have more in common with others than you think.
- Ask for advice. If you ever find yourself needing help, just ask nicely!
- Use short or catchy titles. Titles that are too long will give away the whole story, which will less likely entice Wattpadders to read your work.
- Update your fans. Keep your fans and profile updated with your latest activity. If you’re going to take a break from writing or need help with anything, your profile is a great place to let others know about what’s going on.
- Remember to add a story description (plot synopsis). This is your readers’ first entry into your story.
- Keep chapters short (2000 words). Remember that most Wattpadders are on mobile devices and read on-the-go.
- Serialize. Post 1-3 new chapters a week. Better yet, maintain a regular posting schedule. Be transparent so your readers know what to expect. In the story description, for example, say “New chapters every Friday!".
- Include a call to action. Talk to your readers in the text of the story. Remind them to vote and comment on each chapter, or ask an open-ended question to start a discussion in comments.
- End on a cliffhanger. Keep your readers guessing.
Ways to attract more people to your profile
A few things you can implement and use, and that really stand out as helping people find you and your stories are:
- Link any relevant social media to your profile, such as Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. The more connections that are made, the more easily people will find your Wattpad stories.
- Whenever you're mentioning Wattpad in other places online, be sure to link back to the Wattpad source, as it makes us, you, and the stories you love much more visible. Every time you add a link you make things more discoverable. The more links placed, the more visible you become, and the more readers you'll find to read your stories.
In the Community forum
Note: The Community forums are only available on the Wattpad Website
Join a thread and meet new people! We have many different threads that cater to both readers and writers.
You can share your stories by visiting the 'Share Your Story' section, and selecting the genre that your story belongs in, then checking out the different threads in that genre that apply to your story.
Some writers have found it helpful to team up and edit each others’ work. You can find friendly advice, writing tips, or serious critiques in the Story Services section.
Do you like making art and helping other people? You can also get other Wattpadders to notice you by asking others if you could make covers or book trailers for their work in the Story Services section.
On Social Media and Other Websites
- Like Wattpad on Facebook, and use your own Facebook account and status to encourage your friends to check out your work.
- Promote your work and get advice from other Wattpadders on the Wattpad Facebook page. It’s a great place to meet other Wattpadders, with many comments, questions, and recommendations posted each day!
- Link your Wattpad profile to your Twitter account. Every time you tweet about yours or others’ work, you'll be promoting stories to all your followers.
- When you tweet your story be sure to also include hashtags such as #wattpad or #wattpadlife. Users looking for stories on Twitter often search through these hashtags. This is also a great way to get your name out in the Community!
- There are many Wattpadders on Twitter who can re-tweet your messages to their Twitter followers to help you out.
- If you have a blog, let your followers know when you’ve posted something new and how your writing is going. Recommend other writers you like (and let them know you've done so). They may return the favor!
- Email blogs you follow and ask if they will profile you and/or your work. Bloggers are often looking for new ideas, and they are always happy to hear from followers.
- Wattpad has some widgets you can add to your blog to promote your work as well. You can find these on your profile page!
- Are you on other sites like Tumblr or Pinterest? These are also great places to let others know about your work on Wattpad. Remember to always include a link!
- Make quote art to share on all social media sites!
Friends & Family
Your friends and family are great resources for getting people to notice your work on Wattpad. You can ask them for help:
- They can recommend and share links to your work on Facebook, Twitter, or through their blog.
- They can send emails or messages out to their contacts, letting them know about your work and how amazing it is!