As writers continue to see amazing feedback on their stories, many literary agents and publishing houses are taking notice of the works shared on Wattpad. This guide is to help you do research if you are approached by someone through Wattpad.
If one of our partners is interested in working with you, you’ll hear from Wattpad. Partners do not approach writers directly via the Wattpad platform.
As always, we encourage writers to do their research when it comes to any opportunity. While we love seeing writers find success both on and off Wattpad, we want to remind the community that if you enter your story into an agreement with a third party that is not affiliated with Wattpad, you will not be eligible for any opportunity with Wattpad including The Wattys, Paid Stories, Wattpad Books, and Wattpad Studios.
Below are some helpful tips on how to make an informed decision.
- Conduct an Internet search of the company and see if it returns any results that may look suspicious. Gauge overall sentiment from writers who have worked with the company directly via forums like this.
- Ask the writer community in the Industry Insiders’ club. A number of Wattpadders who also work in the publishing and entertainment spaces may have additional insight or guidance.
- Pay attention to the phrasing and language used. Being addressed as “writer” or “author,” for example, could mean you’re receiving a generic offer aimed at hundreds of others.
- Ensure you fully understand the company’s process and its terms of agreement. Carefully read which rights you are signing away.
- Seek legal advice, if necessary. Always read the fine print so you are aware of what rights you may retain and what you are giving away.
- Never be afraid of asking too many questions. If the company is credible and genuinely interested in working with you, they should have no problem fielding all of your questions directly. Some questions you might ask:
- “Will my book appear in a bookstore or online only?” “Will there be marketing or sales support provided to ensure my book is a success?” “Which rights do I retain or forfeit by signing this contract?” “Is the contract negotiable?” “Will my book be edited by a professional?”
Remember, on Wattpad you retain all rights to your stories. Not all platforms work this way, so be careful and cautious when approached by anyone who wants you to sign away your hard work.