At Wattpad we value the incredible amount of dedication and commitment that goes into the creation process, so helping creators protect their rights is our top priority. Posting the copyrighted works of others without their legal consent is strictly prohibited, as outlined in our our Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. As a service provider, we also comply with all applicable provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). Our policy is to respond to valid notices of alleged copyright infringement we receive by expeditiously removing or disabling access to allegedly infringing material.
Repeat Infringers - In addition to the above policy, we may, when appropriate and at our discretion, terminate the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are charged with infringing the intellectual property rights of others.
Note: Copyright only protects the physical representation of an idea, not the idea itself. Unfortunately, similar plots or story themes may not constitute copyright infringement. If you are unsure of whether a work infringes your copyright, we encourage you to seek professional/legal advice before submitting a notice.
How to File a DMCA Take-down Notice
If you believe that your copyrights have been violated, please report it to us immediately by submitting a DMCA Take-down Notice. You can do this quickly by filling out our online form at http://www.wattpad.com/help/DMCA.
If you'd prefer not to use our form, please provide the following information to our Designated Copyright Agent:
- Your full legal name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed and if possible, the location/URL to the original source.
- A description of the material that you claim is infringing and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material, such as the URL(s) of the allegedly infringing works.
- Both the following statements:
- "I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material or reference or link to such material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use)."
- "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."
- Your electronic or physical signature.
This notice can be sent via email, with all items completed, to Wattpad’s Designated Copyright Agent at email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: There may be legal and financial consequences for submitting false claims. Before submitting a DMCA Take-down Notice, be sure that you are the actual rights holder of the content, are authorized to act on behalf of one, or are authorized to act under any exclusive right under copyright.