At Wattpad we value the incredible amount of dedication and commitment that goes into the creation process, so helping creators protect their rights is our top priority.
Posting the copyrighted works of others without their legal consent is strictly prohibited, as outlined in our Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. As a service provider, we also comply with all applicable provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).
Our policy is to respond to valid notices of alleged copyright infringement we receive by expeditiously removing or disabling access to the allegedly infringing material.
How to report Published content:
Clicking the report button on the story description page OR when on web clicking the "..." on any story part and clicking "Report Story"
Report button on Web:
Report button in App:
After you click report story, you will select that you are reporting copyright. After doing so, you will be brought to a separate reporting form and will be required to provide all links since Wattpad does not track your last viewed story.
Tip: For the "original source," please include a link to a listing if you are reporting a novel. A link to the Amazon or Goodreads page for the novel is ideal so we can view a free preview and easily investigate.
Repeat infringers - In addition to the above policy, we may, when appropriate and at our discretion, terminate the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are charged with infringing the intellectual property rights of others.
Note: Copyright only protects the physical representation of an idea, not the idea itself. Unfortunately, similar plots or story themes may not constitute copyright infringement. If you are unsure of whether a work infringes your copyright, we encourage you to seek professional/legal advice before submitting a notice.
How to file a DMCA take-down notice
IMPORTANT: There may be legal and financial consequences for submitting false claims. Before submitting a DMCA Take-down Notice, be sure that you are the actual rights holder of the content, are authorized to act on behalf of one, or are authorized to act under any exclusive right under copyright.
If you believe that your copyrights have been violated, please report it to us immediately by submitting a DMCA take-down Notice. You can do this quickly by filling out our online form at http://www.wattpad.com/help/DMCA and providing all of the required information.
If you'd prefer not to use our form, please provide the following information to our Designated Copyright Agent:
- Your full legal name, home or mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- A URL to the original work.
- A description of the alleged infringement (Where it is located, what is being copied, etc.).
- The URL allegedly infringing material located on Wattpad.
- Both the following statements:
- "I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material or reference or link to such material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use)."
- "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."
- Your electronic or physical signature.
This notice can be sent via email, with all items completed, to Wattpad’s Designated Copyright Agent at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will typically be responded to within three business days depending on ticket volume.
Before sending a report, please note:
Copyright only protects the physical representation of an idea, not the idea itself. Titles, similar plots or story themes are not enough to constitute as copyright infringement. If you are unsure of whether a work infringes your copyright, we encourage you to seek professional/legal advice before submitting a notice.
Reporting copyright infringements located outside of Wattpad
If someone has posted your original Wattpad story or image onto another website you are entitled to submit a copyright report. Wattpad cannot report on your behalf, so here is some information on how to do it yourself.
Who should I contact?
On the homepage of the website where your story has been copied, look for tabs such as Support, Help, or Contact Us. These links can sometimes be found at the very top or very bottom of the web page. Depending on the size and popularity of the website, you may have to fill out an online form or send an email to the website’s support staff.
Tip: If you are still unable to find the right contact information, try searching for “[website name] report copyright” through your preferred search engine.
What information should I include?
If the website requires you to fill out a form, be sure to include all the information that is being requested. Alternatively, if you have to contact the web administrators through email, include the following information:
- The title of your original work, the date it was posted onto Wattpad, and the direct link/URL to your story on Wattpad
- The title of the copied work, the date it was posted (if available), and the direct link/URL to the page it’s posted on
- A description of what has been copied (i.e. a portion of your story has been copied, your entire story has been copied, translation, etc.)
- Ask for an update on the actions being taken and provide instructions on the best way to contact you (an email address will do)
If you are requested to provide an official Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Take-down notice, please refer to DMCA Section 512(3) Elements of notification to see what type of information needs to be included.